This recipe is perfect for the summer months. Cool, crisp and light, it’s filled with vegetables and has a bit of protein that makes a light lunch or dinner. The shrimp add so much to this dish but if you buy frozen like I did be careful and make sure that they are de-veined and the tails taken off.
These spring rolls are made with rice paper. Rice paper is a staple in the Vietnamese kitchen. If you’ve never wrapped with rice paper don’t worry, if I can do it so can you. This is actually my second time using rice paper. Not too shabby if I say so myself. They aren’t very expensive if you want to practice as well. After the rice paper is soaked in warm water and softened, you wrap them the same way as a burrito.
The dipping sauce has some kick to it provided by the Sriracha sauce. Sriracha sauce is a Thai hot sauce. You can read more about it here. If you don’t like heat decrease the Sriracha sauce.
- Spring Rolls
- Rice Paper - 4
- Shrimp Cooked - 16-20 Frozen, thawed, tails removed and cleaned
- Lettuce - 0.5 Cup Chopped
- English Cucumber - 0.5 Large, Cut Into Match Size Sticks
- Carrot - 0.5 Large, Use A Peeler To Make Ribbons
- Mint - Fresh, 8 whole leaves
- Cilantro - Fresh, 1/4 Cup Chopped Fine
- Lime Juice - 1 fresh squeezed
- Water - 0.25 Cup
- Garlic Clove - Crushed
- White Sugar - 1 tsp
- Sriracha Sauce - 2 tsp
- Soak the rice paper in warm water until the wrap is pliable. I just used a big plate and filled it with water. You also want to turn the rice paper around to get both side equally moistened.
- Put the rice paper on a cutting board and place 4 shrimp in the middle. Top with a bit of lettuce, cucumber, carrot, 2 mint leaves and cilantro. You can change up the ingredients to what you have on hand.
- Fold over the corner closest to you over the filling, then fold over both the left and right sides. This is the same wrapping technique as a burrito. Try and keep it as tight as possible without ripping the rice paper.
- Continue rolling the spring roll while keeping the filling tightly wrapped until it's fully rolled.
- Repeat until all 4 rice paper wraps are rolled.
- To make the dip mix all the ingredients in a bowl.