Salmon is my favourite fish. It is different from regular white fish and richer in taste. You can prepare salmon in so many great ways like smoked, baked or barbequed. I’m always looking for new ways to prepare salmon. The flavours are borrowed from breakfast bagels and who doesn’t love breakfast bagels? This recipe is versatile, try using smoked salmon in the pasta or peas instead of asparagus. Farfalle means butterfly in Italian. How perfect is that for spring?
This recipe isn’t low in calories but every now and then it’s nice to have a treat. Right? If you wanted to cut the calories, add more asparagus and cut down on the farfalle or use light cream cheese. I love cream sauces. The sauce was very easy, fast and creamy.
I used frozen salmon fillets because they are more economical. Maybe your store has fresh salmon on sale this week. I would buy them. Frozen is good but fresh is always better.
- Salmon Fillets - 454g (4 fillets) Frozen Package, Thawed
- Black Pepper - Fresh Cracked, To Taste
- Lemon Juice - 1 fresh Squeezed
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Farfalle Pasta - 224 grams, Uncooked
- Salt - To Taste
- Asparagus - 2 Cups, Woody Ends Snapped Off & Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces
- Red Onion - 1 Small, Cut In Half And Thinly Sliced
- Cream Cheese - 0.5 Cup
- Capers - 2 Tbsp, Rinsed
- Lemon Zest - 3 Tbsp
- Dill - 0.5 Cup, Fresh Chopped
- Marinade the lemon juice and black pepper on thawed salmon fillets.
- Put a pot of water on to boil, for the pasta. Add the salt. Add pasta in boiling water and cook according to the package.
- Add asparagus 4 minutes before the pasta is finished.
- Save about a cup of cooking water. Add the red onion. Drain the pasta.
- In the pasta pot, put cream cheese and add a bit of cooking water. Whisk until smooth, adding more water as needed. Add capers, lemon zest and dill to cream sauce. When the sauce is smooth add pasta, asparagus and red onion.
- Meanwhile, put a frying pan on high heat. Heat the oil in pan. Make sure the oil is hot then carefully place the salmon fillets in the pan.
- Brown one side and make sure the salmon is cooked half way up. Flip and brown the other side. Turn the pan off but let the salmon continue cooking and keep warm. Here's a more detailed Youtube video showing how to pan sear salmon with cookingwithtse. I didn't finish in the oven but I'll try this in the future.
- Serve pasta with salmon on top.