As a Canadian Food Blogger, I am taking part in the BioSnacky 10-Day Sprouting Challenge. A.Vogel Canada provided me with a bioSnacky 3-tier sprouter with organic sprouting seeds. I got to grow the sprouts in my own kitchen and blog my experience.
Nothing says summer than a classic potato salad. This one has a twist. Little radish sprouts add spicy heat much like full grown radishes. The sprouts are lighter with their flavour. It has been very humid in the Ottawa Valley this past week. I haven’t wanted to turn on the oven very often. Feeling inspired by radish flavours, I decided on potato salad.
I grew up on classic potato salad and it’s what I make for my daughter and I. This recipe isn’t hard with a long list of ingredients. If you plan ahead, you can precook the potatoes and eggs. Please do add your own twist. Sometimes I add peppers or full grown radishes. I don’t like it too heavy with mayonnaise so just use enough to coat. If you don’t like eggs leave them out.
The sprouts were a breeze to grow in my kitchen. You put them in the sprouter and rinse twice a day. These were the first out of 3 variety to be ready. They have a soft delicate pink colour. The roots grow furry and at first I’ll admit I thought I had done something wrong because it resembles mold. But after some online research I found out it’s just the roots growing out to reach the water. You can check out the setup of my sprouter here.
- White or Yukon Gold Potatoes - 5 large
- Little Radish Sprouts - 0.75 Cup Chopped and Some extra for garnish
- Carrots - 0.25 Cup Chopped
- Onion - 0.125 Cup Finely Chopped
- Eggs - 2 Large
- Mayonnaise - 0.5 -1 Cup
- Salt - To Taste
- Black Pepper - Fresh Cracked, To Taste
- Boil the potatoes whole cooking until tender in salted water. Don't overcook. Cool off in fridge.
- Put the eggs in a pot and cover with an inch or two of cold water. Bring the eggs up to a boil and cover with a lid and turn the heat off. Let the eggs cook for 12-13 minutes. I have left the eggs in a bit longer and it doesn't seem to hurt. It's a gentle cooking process. Rinse under cold water and leave in the fridge to cool off.
- Peel cooled cooked potatoes, cube into half inch pieces and put into a bowl. Peel the eggs, chop and place in the bowl.
- Combine the radish sprouts, carrots and onion and put in the bowl with the potatoes and eggs.
- Finally add the mayonnaise just to coat the potato salad. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish the top with whole radish sprouts. They are so pretty and yummy.
- This is so good that you have to remember to eat in moderation. It's one of my favourites and reminds me of the summers when I was little.