I wanted something for Easter weekend that would be easy and satisfying. They are also pretty and look like everything spring and Easter. This recipe is a base for deviled eggs. You could add fresh herbs to the yolk mix if you wanted to or a simple garnish on top of the eggs like chives or a slice of olive.
Hard boiled eggs are simple to make but this technique makes it almost foolproof. You cover with cold water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat and let the eggs sit in the water for 12-13 minutes. It’s so easy, I didn’t think it would work. This makes me want to make a dozen for Easter egg dying.
I only made 4 eggs worth. This recipe is easily doubled or tripled. I wouldn’t assemble the deviled eggs too far ahead of eating but go ahead and boil your eggs a few days ahead. These also would make an easy item for dinner when it’s super hot in the summer.
I found two double yolks when I was slicing the eggs in half, today. They were very pretty but weren’t sturdy. I wonder what the chances of finding two double yolked eggs? It makes me wonder what’s left in the carton. Anyone else frequently get double yolks?
- Eggs - 4
- Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard - 2 tsp
- Onion - 2 tsp, Minced
- Salt - To Taste
- Pepper - To Taste
- Paprika - To Taste
- Put the eggs in a pot and cover with an inch or two of cold water. Bring the eggs up to a boil and cover with a lid and turn the heat off. Let the eggs cook for 12-13 minutes. I have left the eggs in a bit longer and it doesn't seem to hurt. It's a gentle cooking process.
- Put the eggs under cold water and chill in the refrigerator for awhile.
- Cut the eggs in half and scoop out the yolk into a bowl. Be careful because you want to keep the eggs pretty for later.
- In a bowl mixed the yolked, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, onion, salt and pepper. Put the mixture into a ziplock bag, push it all in one corner and snip the corner. Use the ziplock bag like a pipping bag and pipe into the egg whites. When you are finished sprinkle with paprika.
- Display your deviled eggs on a pretty platter and enjoy.