Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d take a literal point of view and share some of the iPhone apps I use to keep my heart in shape. I am a sucker for my iPhone and I’m one of those people that will be motivated to do a workout because I can use my new app that I just bought. I love seeing how I have improved over the weeks and any improvement will motivate me. Some of the data that I measure are:
- Heart Rate Chart
- Heart Rate Average
To collect your heart rate information you need a monitor. I was a lucky girl and got one as a present at Christmas from my awesome boyfriend. I love it. You really can keep an eye on how hard you workout. Without any feedback you are only going on how you feel and if you aren’t used to working out it’s hard to trust that you are at the right level. Here’s my list of apps on my iPhone right now:
- Fitocracy is a social network that uses gamification to motivate people to exercise. I use this everyday.
- RunKeeper is another social network but I use it more to keep track of my cardio outdoors like walking. RunKeeper uses your GPS to monitor your kilometres I use this many times a week.
- Fleetly is a social network that is competitive. You get monthly metals and compete with your friends on the site. I use this everyday.
- BeatBurn Elliptical Trainer is an app that uses interval training and the music on your playlists. It’s also one of the only elliptical apps that I could find. I use this at least once a week right now but sometimes I take a month off.
- BeatBurn Treadmill / Outdoor Trainer is the same as their elliptical trainer but for walking. I haven’t used this a lot because I tend not to walk outside in the winter.
- Zombies, Run! is a running app that uses a zombie apocalypse story that you play a part in. It tracks you using your iPhone’s GPS as you outrun zombies and save your town. I’m a big fan of Walking Dead and gamification and this combines the two. I used this once to check it out on my elliptical. I think it’s meant more for running outside.
- Digifit uses your heart rate monitor and records a lot of data. I use this every time I do cardio.
Happy Valentine’s Day and don’t forget to tell the people in your life that you love them.