Sometimes all you want is ooey gooey cheese. Nothing says ooey gooey cheese than grilled cheese but not any old grilled cheese. Make it special with caramelized onions and jalapeño gouda. The jalapeño gouda add just enough heat to switch things up. Bakery fresh French bread finished off this twist on an old classic. This isn’t a diet friendly sandwich and I don’t eat it very often.
If you need a recipe for caramelized onions, I have one here. These keep well in the fridge. Add caramelized onions to all kinds of things. Think burgers — but now back to grilled cheese. Yummy! I actually used the same frying pan to make the grilled cheese after the onions so it absorbs some of the onion flavour on the outside as well.
- French Bread - 2 slices
- Caramelized Onions - 0.25 cup
- Jalapeño Gouda - 0.5 cup large grate or sliced
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- Spread the caramelized onions onto the bread and top with the Gouda.
- Heat up a cast iron pan to medium.
- Half the olive oil goes into the pan. Make sure to coat the bottom. If you need more oil that's ok too.
- Place sandwich in the pan. This is where I do things different. Find another cast iron frying pan and use it to weigh down the sandwich. If you don't have another pan just use a spatula and keep pressing the sandwich down. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Flip the sandwich and repeat on the other side.
- Serve with a chutney, or ketchup. Enjoy.