Who doesn’t love warm banana bread from the oven? It’s moist from the bananas and delicious. I make this recipe healthier with whole wheat flour and oats. Also I added blueberries in the middle because I had leftovers in the freezer from a few weeks ago. Sometimes the best recipes come from just looking in your fridge or freezer. This is a great way to use up overripe bananas. You could omit the brown sugar on top of the loaf and also lower the sugar used in the batter. This is on the sweeter side.
Bananas are filled with vitamin B6, soluble fibre, vitamin C, manganese and potassium. Blueberries are great for manganese, vitamin C, vitamin K and dietary fibre. It’s good to include a variety of foods in your diet.
- Whole Wheat Flour - 1 Cup
- All Purpose Flour - 0.5 Cup
- Rolled Oats - 0.75 Cup
- Sugar - 0.5 Cup
- Salt - 0.5 Tsp
- Baking Powder - 0.5 Tsp
- Baking Soda - 0.25 Tsp
- Olive Oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mashed Banana - 1 Cup
- Frozen Blueberries - 0.75 Cup
- Eggs - 2 Large, Beaten
- Brown Sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, rolled oats, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Use a tablespoon or two of the dry mixture to coat the blueberries.
- Mix the olive oil, mashed banana and eggs in another bowl.
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingrediants together until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Using a non-stick loaf pan. Pour half the batter into the pan. Add the blueberries in a layer. Add the rest of the batter to the top.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Bake in the oven for an hour or until a stick comes out clean.